If your job is to develop the attain and impression of your nonprofit, chances are high you’re already stretched fairly skinny.
From conventional advertising and marketing to social media, and from organizing occasions to dealing with emails and press communication, you merely don’t have the time to create unique content that’s related and well timed.
Current disaster is exhibiting us all simply how essential it’s to adapt shortly in relation to the content we use to speak with these we care about probably the most in our communities.
This is the time to focus your nonprofit’s content efforts on content curation. In this information, we’ll present you precisely how, with examples and steps you can take immediately.
What is content curation for nonprofits?
Content curation is the method of choosing, enhancing, and publishing content from third-party sources to your viewers. Instead of making unique content from scratch, you can depend on sources that at all times publish high quality content.
This method, you can preserve frequently exhibiting up for your viewers and help your fundraising and advertising and marketing objectives even when you don’t have sufficient time to create your individual content.
Content curation will work for your nonprofit if you make certain you don’t skip any steps:
- Select the most effective content. It’s as much as you to guage the standard of the supply you’re sharing from and solely selecting the most effective. If you don’t, you’ll find yourself sharing poor high quality content, and you’ll haven’t any stable basis for content curation.
- Add your experience and insights. Instead of simply sharing the piece of curated content as is, take the time so as to add your message, viewpoint, and experience across the matter. You can spotlight some key factors from the piece, emphasize a name to motion, or add worth in another method particular to you.
- Share the place your viewers wants you. Content curation works by public channels like social media and web site content, but in addition by personal channels like newsletters and inner content hubs.
If you skip any of those steps, you’ll both share low-quality content that solely provides to the noise, or you gained’t attain anybody in any respect. All three phases are key, and solely then will you see the advantages of content curation for your nonprofit group.
The advantages of content curation for your nonprofit
Here are some benefits of content curation for your nonprofit in case you’re not sure if it’s the proper selection for you.
Become the go-to useful resource and cut back data overload
If folks need to help a trigger, they’ll flip to Google, social media, or their local people to search out probably the most related data and be taught some methods they can assist.
However, after they do this, they’ll most likely find yourself with extra data they can deal with. They gained’t know the place to begin and even which data to depend on.
As a nonprofit group that curates content, you can cut back data overload and assist this viewers discover vetted, dependable content. You’ll change into the go-to useful resource on subjects related to your nonprofit.
For instance, in case your nonprofit focuses on the worldwide problem of poverty, you can curate content on essential subjects comparable to starvation, inequality, entry to water, and ladies’s rights. As you curate extra content over time, folks fascinated by data round poverty will get into the behavior of going to you for all essential sources on it.
Create belief and buy-in from stakeholders
To serve the trigger you’re targeted on, you must hit your objectives. And to hit your objectives, you want buy-in from key folks like companions, donors, and volunteers.
According to analysis from Content Marketing Institute, eight out of 10 of the simplest nonprofit ways are in a type of digital content:
With in-person occasions rated as the simplest nonprofit tactic, chances are high you’re focusing most of your time on these and don’t have sufficient time to create content like movies, newsletters, infographics, and content hubs.
This is the place content curation turns into a superpower. It helps you reply the query: “Why should people care about this cause?”
Even with out unique content, you can work on constructing belief by publishing:
- Statistics from research and studies
- Unbiased data that helps you set up key issues
- Stories related to your trigger
You can publish these inside a content hub, form them right into a publication, put up them on social media, and far more (a later part will present you precisely how).
Engage with influencers in your subject
It can take you months and even years to achieve on-line visibility huge sufficient to hit all of your nonprofit objectives. Content curation can assist you speed up this course of.
Why? Because by curating and sharing content from different folks and organizations, you will land on their radar and typically get in entrance of their audiences.
For you, an influencer is anybody with an viewers that overlaps with the target market for your nonprofit. These can be content creators, native companies, freelancers and businesses, occasion organizers, and extra.
When they begin seeing your title actually because you share their content, they’ll probably reciprocate the favor by participating with what you needed to say, sharing your individual piece of content, and so on.
Relationship constructing is a long-term course of, and if you stay constant, your outcomes will compound, and your on-line channels will continue to grow in visibility, attain, and engagement.
Which subjects and codecs ought to you curate as a nonprofit?
If you’re not sure in regards to the codecs you can use and the subjects to share by them, use this part as inspiration. Let’s give attention to three most important methods to share curated content:
- Curated weblog posts
- Curated social media posts
- Curated content hubs
A curated weblog put up is a good way to maintain your group’s weblog recent. At a foundational stage, it features a title, a picture, and a quote from the unique piece of content, with a hyperlink to it.
The excellent news is that you can simply take it additional than that. For instance:
- Add your individual photographs and graphics
- Share your individual opinion or evaluation to supply additional context
- Add additional sources like hyperlinks to your different content
- Come up with your individual title
Finally, similar to along with your unique posts, you can add a call-to-action (CTA) to show readers into subscribers. You can additionally categorize/tag this piece of content in order that it’s simple for readers to search out in the event that they’re exploring a sure class.
There are many development alternatives that include social media, however provided that you do it proper. The lifespan of social media posts is brief: as much as 5 hours on Facebook, 2 days on Instagram, and solely 18 minutes on Twitter.
Curated social media content will assist you keep away from the social media hamster wheel—the sensation you need to be in creation mode 24/7. It will preserve your social media feeds lively and filled with varied codecs and related subjects.
Here are some concepts of content you can share:
- Third-party analysis and case research
- Quotes from public figures, volunteers, or neighborhood members: these can be in a brief video format, on a easy graphic (you can simply create it with Canva), or in plain textual content
- Relevant native and worldwide occasions
- Links to native information and interviews
- Press you had been talked about in
A curated content hub is a web based vacation spot that homes third-party content in a central place that you personal. It’s a good way to current probably the most priceless content on any given matter.
Each content hub can (and ought to) characteristic a spread of content codecs, comparable to:
- Case research
- Social media content
- User-generated content
For your nonprofit, the most effective method is to create a go-to, centralized place for every of your most important subjects. If we take the sooner instance of a poverty-focused nonprofit, their particular person content hubs can be titled Hunger, Inequality, Access to water, Women’s rights.
Content hubs are extraordinarily versatile and with the proper instruments, you can create one and begin curating inside minutes.
This is especially helpful when data adjustments shortly. You can see a great instance of this with Scoop.it’s COVID-19 topic page:
The beauty of content hubs is that you can focus most of your content curation time on them, and different actions (curated weblog posts and social media) will comply with. The content that results in your content hubs can simply be repurposed for different channels, together with curated newsletters.
Let’s have a look at how you can do it with Scoop.it.
4 steps to profitable content curation with Scoop.it
Scoop.it lets you curate content from all around the web in a couple of methods. You can:
- Paste any hyperlink to create a brand new scoop
- Scoop with out a hyperlink (by including a title, description, and picture to a brand new scoop)
- Use Scoop.it’s bookmarklet so as to add a bit of content you at present have opened
- Get recommendations by coming into related key phrases
Let’s undergo simple steps to arrange content hubs for your nonprofit. If you need to comply with alongside, seize a free Scoop.it account if you don’t have it but.
Step 1: Create a brand new Scoop.it matter
From your Scoop.it dashboard, click on the ‘Create a Topic’ signal with the plus mark.
You’ll then see a easy display that prompts you to call your matter and choose its language.
From the hub web page, you’ll be capable of change its title and add a picture for it. Our subsequent objective is to search out content for it.
Step 2: Add curated content to your Scoop.it matter
There are two most important methods so as to add content to your Scoop.it content hubs: from exterior of Scoop.it and from inside Scoop.it.
Curating exterior Scoop.it means you’ll come throughout a bit of content you need to curate and then both use the Scoop.it bookmarklet or copy that URL and paste it into your Scoop.it web page.
Curating inside Scoop.it means you can use the Suggestions engine and let Scoop.it do a number of the exhausting work for you.
You can entry it immediately out of your matter’s web page by clicking the drawer icon on the prime proper nook. From there, you can add filters comparable to:
- No posts older than [number] days/months
- Sorting by relevance or freshness
- Only together with recommendations of sure codecs, comparable to articles, paperwork, footage, movies, or social media posts
Here’s the way it seems in apply:
From right here, including a bit of content to your matter is so simple as hitting the ‘Publish’ button.
Step 3: Make the piece of content higher by including your experience
Remember we talked earlier in regards to the worth of creating a bit of content richer by including your ideas, evaluation, and context? This is the step you get to try this inside Scoop.it.
When you select a bit of content to curate, you’ll see the next popup:
In it, you can:
- Add your perception into a chosen subject, with many formatting choices like font measurement, bullet level lists, and hyperlinks to completely make it your individual
- Edit the title, description, and picture that Scoop.it robotically pulled from the piece of content
- Add tags, which you can use as a option to kind and categorize every of your matter pages even additional
- Select a date and time for this piece of content to be added to your hub
This is your likelihood so as to add particulars particular to your nonprofit, your private expertise, a quote from somebody you’ve helped, or the rest that may paint a greater image of your group’s universe.
Step 4: Get your curated content in entrance of the proper folks
In one of many earlier sections, we talked about that curated content will assist you get buy-in and belief from companions, donors, and volunteers and allow you to hit your objectives. For this to occur, this content wants to achieve these folks.
There are two methods you can make this occur with Scoop.it: post-level promotion, and bigger promotion like web site integration and newsletters.
On a post-level promotion, you can click on the arrow button below every put up and use one of many sharing choices obtainable, comparable to:
- Twitter, LinkedIn, or Pinterest
- Hootsuite and Buffer
- Direct electronic mail
- Direct Scoop.it hyperlink you can copy and paste wherever
On a bigger scale of promotion, you can:
- Integrate your matter web page in your web site (a number of choices can be found by Integration tab on the prime of your matter)
- Create a publication out of your matter web page
Both of those choices leverage the truth that you’ve already accomplished a lot of the work when you curated and enriched these items of content. They collate this work right into a webpage or a publication and give you all the benefits that include it.
You’re prepared to realize all of your nonprofit objectives
Now you know precisely what content curation means in a nonprofit surroundings, the way it can profit you, and how you can get began.
Be positive to take Scoop.it for a take a look at drive and see how you can serve your trigger even higher and extra effectively. We have created offers and discounts specific to nonprofits, so ship us a observe and we’ll get you up and working very quickly.