When you are knee-deep into the design of your web site, it is onerous to admit this reality: Some of the pages on your web site are extra essential than others.
Okay, a lot of you in all probability discover that pretty apparent — however I’m stunned how not often content managers and internet designers truly apply this data to their web sites to enhance conversions.
I’m all about low-hanging fruit and taking on the best duties that may have the most important outcomes. What I’m about to describe on this article has the potential to enhance your web site dramatically with just some, important adjustments.
In this submit, I’ll clarify how to optimize every considered one of these pages. And in case your most-visited pages are completely different from those listed above, you may nonetheless be taught a framework for optimizing any of the essential pages on your web site.
What is web site optimization?
You’ve in all probability heard the phrase “optimize” mostly utilized in phrases like “search engine optimization” (search engine optimisation) and “conversion rate optimization” (CRO). I’m truly referring to one thing broader right here, however the recommendation that I’m delivering will assist to improve each of these.
The optimization I’m going to clarify will create consumer optimized pages. In the pursuit of search engine optimisation and CRO, it’s simple to overlook the broader, big-picture concept. First and foremost, a web site should be optimized for the consumer. The greatest place to see huge outcomes rapidly is to begin optimizing essentially the most visited pages of your web site.
Most Important Web Pages to Optimize for Conversions
- Home Page
- About Page
- Contact Us Page
Let’s get proper into it. Every web site is completely different, however typically talking, listed below are the 4 most essential (and sometimes most-visited) pages on an internet site:
The house web page is the primary impression of your corporation to potential prospects. And though your time restrict on making a tremendous impression is a number of instances longer on-line than it’s in actual life (62 seconds on average is spent by people viewing a website) you’ll need to make each second rely.
It’s tempting to put each remotely related reality in regards to the enterprise on the house web page, however resist the urge. Remember, your house web page is step one of the journey — not the ultimate vacation spot. The copy, design, and visuals ought to information the customer to their subsequent step, or the call-to-action.
Customers, buyers, candidates for rent, and even opponents may all use your about web page to be taught extra details about your organization. An about web page sometimes features a temporary firm historical past, mission or imaginative and prescient assertion, govt management bios, and some impactful consumer testimonials.
It’s no secret that running a blog is a tried-and-true methodology to optimize an internet site for key phrases associated to a enterprise. Rather than loading up a number of product pages for every particular person key phrase you need to rank for, a weblog can function a extra environment friendly manner to weave storytelling, product mentions, and enroll hyperlinks collectively so as to reply potential buyer inquiries, resolve issues, and pose your services or products as the popular resolution.
Contact Us Page
For many small companies and freelancers, the contact us web page serves because the lead-driver of an internet site. This is often their bread-and-butter and the way these companies become profitable. Whether your corporation features a contact kind, a calendar scheduler, an appointment reserving app, a telephone quantity, or an e-mail handle, that is the place future prospects make the choice to come up with a consultant of the enterprise to be taught extra in regards to the services.
How to Optimize A Web Page
The broad framework for optimizing your web site for conversions is similar throughout your house web page, About web page, weblog, and Contact Us web page. There are two easy objectives for each web page, and the specifics of optimizing these pages will move from these objectives.
The first objective is all in regards to the consumer, and the second is all about you. Here we go:
Provide data the consumer is in search of.
Remember, we’re focusing on the consumer. Why are they on the web page to start with? To reply this query successfully, let’s dive deeper into some information we’ll need to know first:
- Where did they arrive from? The concept right here is to perceive how the consumer received to your web site, so you may ship related content.
- Did they arrive from a search engine? (If so, what did they search to discover you?)
- An e-mail? (What sort of e-mail? Who despatched it?)
- A referral on one other web site? (What web site was it? How lengthy has it been referring to your URL?)
- What do they want to know? A single web page can ship a restricted quantity of data, so that you want to decide what that data goes to be. You need them to know one thing in order that they may do one thing (which is addressed within the subsequent query). Remember: Less is extra on an internet web page. The extra data you load up on your foremost pages, the much less doubtless the consumer is to bear in mind any of it. Give them much less, they usually’re extra doubtless to bear in mind — and do — what you need them to.
Pro Tip: Use visuals resembling explainer movies, diagrams, hero photographs, and so on to assist condense plenty of data to a single web page. To get essentially the most out of your visuals, be sure you accurately optimize your photos and videos.
Once you reply the query of what the consumer’s in search of, you are midway there. That brings us to query two.
Identify a objective for the consumer as soon as they discover the data.
Now, you want to ask the consumer to do one thing. This is the place most pages fall quick. One of the important elements of an internet web page is its call-to-action (CTA), and plenty of web site homeowners do not understand that each single web page of an internet site ought to comprise at the least one CTA.
The level of a house web page or product web page isn’t for the consumer to go to and go away. The level of content advertising and marketing isn’t for consumer consumption, however quite, for consumer advertising and marketing. If you keep just one factor from this text, let or not it’s that each internet web page wants a CTA.
Why am I so insistent on this? Because each bit of information you share on your web site calls for some response. So, what’s it that you really want the consumer to do? Visit one other web page on your web site? Watch a video? Complete a kind? Sign up for a free trial? Any or all of those can grow to be your objective for the consumer, simply be certain to give them one or two choices per web page which might be clearly and starkly outlined.
Web Page Optimization Examples
Example of an Optimized Website Home Page
HubSpot’s house web page is nicely laid out and hosts a transparent CTA, entrance and heart. A consumer is on the HubSpot house web page for a cause, and maybe that cause is to develop their enterprise. The headline speaks to the query “what am I looking for?” and the CTA buttons inform me, the consumer, what I’m supposed to do subsequent.
Now, let’s have a look at what HubSpot has going on on the About web page.
Example of an Optimized Website About Page
A consumer may click on on the About web page for a wide range of causes. Just a few is likely to be:
- They need to determine what precisely the enterprise does.
- They need to work for the enterprise.
- They need to be certain the enterprise is legit.
- They need to see if the enterprise serves a selected area of interest or location.
- They need to analyze the enterprise’s success.
I might go on and on. There are a ton of causes that would deliver a consumer right here, however all of them boil down to the need for data. Let’s see what HubSpot does. Here is the corporate’s About web page:
The consumer doubtless needs to know the details about the corporate, and in response, they’ll scroll the web page to be taught extra in regards to the mission, historical past, and merchandise.
Along the best way, the consumer will need extra detailed data which suggests the CTAs will want to grow to be extra particular to assist information them to that data. The extra granular and detailed the data, the extra correspondingly detailed the CTA turns into. Halfway down the web page, I see a video in regards to the HubSpot story that includes CEO Brian Halligan.
There’s extra. There’s a block of content about every HubSpot product together with the CRM, every Hub, and integrations. I can click on any of those to be taught extra in regards to the ones that may assist develop my enterprise.
Finally, irrespective of how far I scroll down the web page, the sticky header menu contains an orange CTA for me to Get HubSpot totally free.
This is an instance of an About web page optimized to drive engagement, enhance conversions, and improve the model. The web page is as a lot in regards to the consumer as it’s in regards to the firm itself as a result of alongside the best way, the consumer is receiving worth.
Example of an Optimized Website Blog Page
Even although the HubSpot weblog is without doubt one of the hottest digital publications, there are nonetheless some sensible purposes you should use to optimize your individual weblog web page if in case you have a smaller following. Although there are a number of articles a customer can select from throughout a wide range of matters, you’ll discover particular CTAs that invite customers to join the weblog e-newsletter, obtain a report, discover extra matters, and eventually, subscribe to their weblog of curiosity.
Sprinkle the CTAs all through your weblog house web page for a extra pure strategy. As readers scroll, you don’t need them to be bombarded with subsequent steps, however you don’t need to go away them questioning what they need to do subsequent. Balance the consumer expertise on your weblog with a sticky header CTA and one or two major CTAs.
Example of an Optimized Website Contact Us Page
Granted, HubSpot makes use of its contact web page a bit otherwise than you may use yours. Whereas a contact web page is likely to be the top objective you need in your guests, HubSpot optimizes product and touchdown pages to attract leads and sign-ups for particular merchandise it affords.
There’s nonetheless a chance for a possible buyer to get into the gross sales pipeline from the contact web page although. HubSpot features a gross sales line, buyer assist, and a chatbot to get customers to one of the best level of contact.
For prospects, new staff, or candidates interviewing with the corporate, they’ll discover the addresses and telephone numbers of the worldwide places of work. Similar to the opposite three pages, the stick header menu features a CTA to join HubSpot totally free.
Tips for Optimizing Each Page
Now that you’ve a framework for optimizing your pages and a few examples, listed below are just a few, extra particular ideas to make it easier to optimize every of the 4 most essential pages.
1. Home Page
- Use a giant headline and place crucial data entrance and heart. A house web page could permit for a number of completely different CTAs — make it simple for the consumer to select by making CTA buttons massive and simple to click on.
- Provide move. Make it apparent the place the consumer is meant to go and what they’re supposed to do subsequent.
- Make the Navigation Menu Clear. Oftentimes, a customer makes use of the house web page as a manner of discovering the place on the positioning she needs to go. For this cause, it is best to make the navigation menu very clear.
2. About Page
- Deliver crucial and related data above the fold. The consumer is on your About web page for a cause — reply their query(s) with out making them scroll.
- Include at the least one CTA. Remember, most individuals aren’t simply in search of extra data, they’re in search of a deeper degree of engagement.
- Organize data on your weblog clearly, and make it possible for data satisfies the explanations customers is likely to be on your weblog. Most customers will need to learn the latest articles, so present these. You might also need to set up classes on the weblog house web page, resembling “most recent,” “most popular,” or different types of categorization.
- Include CTAs that make it simple for the consumer to subscribe to the weblog, obtain a free useful resource, and so on. Even although the consumer got here to get data, you need them to get engaged and linked. (Click right here for eight forms of CTAs you may strive on your weblog.)
- Provide CTAs within the core design of your weblog so they seem on every particular person weblog submit. In my expertise, most blog visitors land on individual blog articles through organic search, as an alternative of touchdown on your weblog’s “home” web page. To get these customers engaged, put CTAs on the sidebars, within the footer, and in different places. (Learn how to choose the right CTA for every weblog submit right here.)
4. Contact Us Page
- Put the data the consumer is in search of above the fold — an e-mail handle, telephone quantity, contact kind, map, mailing handle, and so on. Of all 4 of those internet pages, the Contact Us web page implies essentially the most detailed degree of intent on the a part of the consumer.
- Use CTAs that permit the consumer to contact you simply (since, presumably, that is why they got here to your Contact Us web page). Make the CTA actually apparent, and interact them by gratifying their intent immediately, utilizing CTA copy like ”Chat now” or “Email now”.
Ask the User to Act On Your Content
As an internet site proprietor, you’re within the enterprise of not simply disseminating data, however soliciting a response, too. To have interaction your guests and increase conversions on your web site, here is how to optimize pages like a professional: Look at your most visited pages, perceive the rationale customers are there, present priceless data, and ask them for an motion in return. Regardless of your most-visited pages and even the character of your web site, you may create extra engaged customers with this optimization framework. Try it out — use the guidelines under to get began.
Editor’s notice: This submit was initially printed in December 2014 and has been up to date for comprehensiveness.